Re: Bitmap to .wmf conversion

Subject: Re: Bitmap to .wmf conversion
From: Tim Altom <taltom -at- SIMPLYWRITTEN -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 08:06:21 -0500

Sorry, I don't think this will ever work. I've never tested any software
that could do this. Basically, bitmaps and vectors are incompatible at
heart. Vectors are dimensionless, in that they have no integral size.
Bitmaps are, by nature, dimensioned to the size you created them. And color
gradations in your bitmaps will blow out almost completely in vector fills.

You *can* place a bitmap into a WMF wrapper, so that it places as an WMF but
resizes and acts like a bitmap. And you *can* convert many kinds of vectors
to bitmaps by just staking out a particular size for the graphic and then
recording how the pixels look at that moment. You can, therefore, store your
bitmaps as WMFs, EPSs, DXFs, or any other vector format, just to have them
in the format, but don't expect to convert 'em. There's software that will
give you a "best-guess" conversion, but they're not very workable.

Tim Altom
Adobe Certified Expert, Acrobat
Simply Written, Inc.
317.899.5882
http://www.simplywritten.com
Creators of the Clustar Method for task-based documentation

>Hey graphics people,
>
>Looking for a method of converting scanned bitmaps to .wmf
>files for a document archiving project.

Tim Altom
Adobe Certified Expert, Acrobat
Simply Written, Inc.
317.899.5882
http://www.simplywritten.com
Creators of the Clustar Method for task-based documentation

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=