Re: FWD: Advice on contract vs. captive

Subject: Re: FWD: Advice on contract vs. captive
From: John Posada <posada -at- FAXSAV -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 17:49:06 -0400

>There is also the issue of training. As a sub-contractor, the
companies to
>which the agency sends you are not going to want to fork out the
dough for
>you to get training. How willing to pay for training is the agency
for which
>you'll work? And by "pay" for I mean both pay you a wage and give
you the

Contractors usualy make about 30%-40% more than their employee conterparts
(at least around here). For me, that comes to about $40,000 more per year.
For that difference, I'll take a week off. Besides...the cost of my training
is a tax deduction for me at the end of the year.

In addition, I can train for what -I- want at the level I want. When you
leave your training in someone else's hands, you train at what -THEY- want.
Besides...you ARE paying for the training...along with a number of other
things you may have no control over. Why do you think a captive takes home
less pay?

>time, say a week in Chicago for example? Also be aware that you may
be
>earning less than half of what the agency gets for your labor. How
do you
>feel about that?

...and if you are an employee and you create a set of documents at the
company and the company sells the documents for $1,500 per set and sells
20,000 sets, should you expect more money than if the document sells for
$100 and only sells 20 sets?

I know that I'm in the minority about this on the list, (we've had this
discussion before), but I determine the rate that I'll work for, then locate
the job to give me that rate. If I accept an assignment for a rate that I'm
happy with, what does it matter what they are able to get on top of it. I
hope they get as much as they can. I am.

John Posada, Technical Writer (and starting the next contract in a week)
The world's premier Internet fax service company: The FaxSav Global Network
-work http://www.faxsav.com -personal http://www.tdandw.com
-work mailto:posada -at- faxsav -dot- com -personal mailto:john -at- tdandw -dot- com
-work phone: 732-906-2000 X2296 -personal phone:732-2910-7811
-pager: 800-864-8444 pin 1857522 -pager via email:1857522 -at- pagemart -dot- net

My opinions are mine, and neither you nor my company can take credit for
them.
"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem,
see a fine
picture, and, if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words.", Goethe
"Say all you have to say in the fewest possible words, or your reader will
be sure to skip
them; and in the plainest possible words or he will certainly misunderstand
them.", John
Ruskin
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and
he will sit in a
boat and smoke cigars all day."

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=