Re: Merging marketing pubs with tech pubs

Subject: Re: Merging marketing pubs with tech pubs
From: Elna Tymes <etymes -at- LTS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 11:51:36 -0700

Beth -

Two pieces of advice:

1. Run, do not walk, to the director of engineering and do whatever you
must to keep technical writing under the domain of the engineering
group. While technical writing and marketing writing have some skills
in common, and while it's important to share information, their
audiences are totally different, and the mindsets of those who manage
these tasks are quite different. I've been manager of Marketing
Communications, where my responsibilities included all the technical
manuals, and it was only because of my (considerable) prior experience
with technical writing that we got the kind of technical attention we
needed.

2. Update and circulate your resume. It's been my experience that when
a company starts consolidating a writing group that way, it's not
exactly a stable place to work.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=