Warning re: importing by reference

Subject: Warning re: importing by reference
From: Elizabeth Kane <bkane -at- ARTISOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 12:04:56 -0700

Suzette,
Just a few words of warning about "import by reference" -- I NEVER use
it, because copying the graphics into the doc is so much simpler,
safer and (in my case) really doesn't add an intolerable amount of
size to my files. The trouble with importing by ref is that any time
you copy or move those chapters to another location, you have to make
sure to also copy every one of the graphic files that are imported by
ref. You might also have to redefine the path to them. It's a pain!
What if you lose one of them, or they all get deleted by mistake? The
only way to make the file usable again is to recreate the captures.
That's too much work to take a chance on, for me.

These days I'm having quite a time coping with a really bad situation
caused by import by ref: our graphics guy was laid off, and I offered
to maintain his huge archives. Right after he left, the MIS guy backed
up his art docs onto tape. Then his Mac's hard drive died.

So we had to use the tape to restore all his files onto my machine.
But every time I open a doc, I get an error message saying associated
graphics files are missing. He used import by ref in every one of his
docs, and sometimes there are 6 or 8 files I have to track down.
Because the path to the files the doc was dependent on cited his hard
drive name, and it's dead now, every file has to be fixed! I'm working
unpaid overtime as a result.

Beth Kane
bkane -at- artisoft -dot- com in Tucson

Subject: Screenshots in FrameMaker
Author: Suzette Seveny <sseveny -at- PETVALU -dot- COM> at Internet
Date: 8/27/98 12:11 PM

(Cross-posted to Techwr-L and Framers)

Thanks for all the excellent responses! I'm sorry I cannot respond to everyone
individually, but I'd like to summarize.

Some people use one program to capture and another to edit. Others use a
"multi-purpose" program to do both. The recommendations I received break down
as follows:

Paintshop Pro - 12 recommendations
Photoshop - 3 recommendations
Full Shot - 2 rec.
Hijaack - 1 rec.
Hypersnap - 1 rec.
SnagIt32 - 3 rec.
Snapshot - 1 rec.
Capture Pro - 1 rec.

I also received some excellent advice on how to manage graphics in my
FrameMaker files. Here's my plan of attack:

I have a program called Halo Desktop Imager. I will use that to capture and
edit my screenshots. Backup choice is Photoshop (which I also have - just
don't know how to use it). Last resort will be Paintshop Pro. I am fortunate
that I can select whatever tools I want.

I will capture my screens at 72 dpi, reduce to 16 colours and save them in a
TIF format (recommended by most - only one person recommended BMP). Each
manual will have a separate graphics folder in it's directory, holding all TIF
files used. I will import the TIF file into FrameMaker, using Reference (to
keep the size of the documents reasonable). My manuals will eventually end up
in PDF format.

I will use the "Pen" feature in Frame to outline my graphics if necessary
(stole this from someone else's posting - thanks whoever you are!!). Someone
else posted some really good advice about importing graphics into frame and
gave the math to determine resolution (pixels divided by dimensions in inches
or something like that). I wrote it down and will definitely refer to it if
necessary - thanks to you too!!!

I could have spent a lot of time figuring this out, so thanks to everyone for
saving me so much valuable time. I am doing my first manual in Frame, and
learning as I go along. So far, it's going very well, and I don't even miss
Word!!!

You people are absolutely fabulous!!

Suzette Seveny
Markham, Ontario, Canada
sseveny -at- petvalu -dot- com or suzette -at- yesic -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=