Software Documentation

Subject: Software Documentation
From: Joanne Tait <jtait -at- SHOWBASE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 16:19:16 -0400

Hi List,

From all of you software documentors out there, could I get some
insights into the various types of documentation that accompany software
releases. We are beginning the process of setting up a procedures
manual as well as scheduling a current project. We are trying to define
the tasks involved in a beta release. Until I arrived, what
documentation there was had been hired out . . . now I'm a lone, newbie
writer ('nuf said).
{:-}

Please reply to me off-list and I will try at some point to compile a
collection for interested parties, if any. BTW, I love this list.

*****
First question(s) - when do you write a whole new manual or simply write
an addendum to the existing manual? Do major version numbers (i.e. v1.5
to v2.0) dictate the need for a new book or is it the actual number of
pages to be rewritten/added that determines this?

Second question - am I correct in my following definitions/assumptions:

Read Me file: a text file that accompanies the executable installation
file (that is, not compiled in install .exe file) and contains
installation instructions

Release Notes: a text or pdf file that addresses concerns regarding
knownsoftware bugs and describes fixed bugs from earlier versions and
workarounds

Addendum (to the manual): documents minor changes to the existing
documentation (i.e. a new button on a dialogue box, etc.), and any
errata(e/s/um(s))

Revision (to the manual): documents major revisions to only one or two
isolated sections of the manual (does not effect the entire manual)

Last question (really): do you update the on-line help for each release
or only for major ones? Frankly, I have an application whose on-line
help is not quite up-to-date with the software and it does get a little
frustrating at times (have I just answered my own question?).

TIA (cha cha cha)

Joanne Tait
Technical Writer/Webmaster
ShowBase Inc.