Re: Credibility (WAS: Texts on Grammar)

Subject: Re: Credibility (WAS: Texts on Grammar)
From: Sean McFerren <smcferre -at- CSC -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 13:03:22 -0500

<snip>
When you know what you're writing about and can quote chapter and verse
from the so-called "industry bible", defending your work is easy.
Dazzle with knowledge as well as brilliance. We're technical writers.
As such, we're supposed to know what we're writing about because we know
the subject matter as well as where to find the subject matter experts.
Bullshit can be smelled a mile away.<snip>

George,

Obviously, a basic understanding of the subject is necessary before undertaking a
project. But, do you mean to imply that a level of knowledge that enables one to
"quote chapter and verse from the so-called "industry bible"" is necessary to
maintain one's credibility as a technical writer? If so, should this knowledge be
present before, or only after, interviewing SMEs?

If you maintain that this level of knowledge should exist before consulting SMEs,
what do you need with SMEs? If you can already quote chapter and verse from the
industry bible, what is a SME going to tell you that you don't already know?

OTOH, you may have meant that a tech writer must be capable of acquiring a
complete understanding of the subject then conveying this understanding to users.
If this is what you meant, I misunderstood your statement.

Sean McFerren
Performance Support Consultant
Computer Sciences Corporation/SCI Account
Houston, TX
smcferre -at- csc -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=