Jumpless Index Entries

Subject: Jumpless Index Entries
From: "Lawrence, Ed" <Ed -dot- Lawrence -at- COMPAQ -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 12:29:33 -0500

I'm cross-posting to get a broader set of opinions.

As an online help developer, I've been asked by an editor to modify my index
with some 'jumpless' keywords that are primary keywords that include some
second levels. I disagree. Their justification being that in hard copy, not
all index entries have page references, in addition to having some primary
keyword topics contain subjects covered in the second levels. In other
words, click on the primary keyword Audio, and get a list of possible
topics, and directly below the keyword audio, second levels might be
duplicated.

Personally, I think an index entry that doesn't link could be interpreted by
the end-user as a broken link. It should jump to something!

The solution I intend to offer is link the primary entry to a general topic,
and if the subordinate second level entries link to the same topic or
topics, so be it...I just think every keyword in an online index should link
to something or purge it from the file.

Comments? Alternative solutions?

Ed
ed -dot- lawrence -at- compaq -dot- com