Changing Default Hypertext Colors

Subject: Changing Default Hypertext Colors
From: Roy Anderson <royanderson -at- IBM -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 00:55:34 -0400

CHANGING DEFAULT ONLINE HELP HYPERLINK COLORS (Win 3.1 and Win95)

Please note that this procedure only changes online help hypertext
and popup colors on the Windows 3.1 and 95 PC you?re using at the
moment you modify the PC's win.ini file. If you use multiple PCs,
you must make the color changes below to every PCs you use. Do not
paste your own win.ini file over another person?s win.ini file. The
other person?s win.ini file may contain customization not in your
own win.in.

Yes, many win.ini parmeters were transferred over to the Registry in
Win95. Still, for whatever reason, the incusion of JumpColor and
PopupColor parameter lines in win.ini does work. No, I don't know why
this happens.

1. Make a copy of your ?win.ini? file. You should find the original
system file in path ?C:\Windows\win.ini?. Should problems arise
after applying this procedure, replace your win.ini file with the
backup win.ini copy. This is such a simple process that problems
shouldn?t occur. This has been applied numerous times on our PCs.

2. Open win.ini using a text editor such as Notepad and search for
?[Windows Help]?

3. Add the following lines below the [Windows Help] line to change the
online hypertext to dark blue. See the color table at the bottom of
this note for different color values.

JumpColor=0 0 128
PopupColor=0 0 128

4. The result should appear as:

[Windows Help]
{any other pre-existing [Windows Help] lines}
JumpColor=0 0 128
PopupColor=0 0 128

5. Save your win.ini file. The color changes you made above should now
show when you open any normal .hlp help file.

Windows Color Table Codes:

Color Color Values

Black......... =0 0 0
Blue.......... =0 0 255
Green......... =0 128 0
Maroon........ =128 0 64
Purple........ =128 0 128
Red........... =255 0 0
Teal.......... =0 128 128
Dark Blue..... =0 0 128
Dark Green.... =0 64 0
Dark Purple... =640 128
Dark Red...... =128 0 0
Dark Teal..... =0 64 64

If you don't like this approach, fine. Please don't flame me about
it. Some--particularly color-blind males--might find it useful. It's
offered only as a novelty.

Good luck.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=