Re: One more on "How I Got Started..."

Subject: Re: One more on "How I Got Started..."
From: Sybille Sterk <sybille -at- BOFFIN -dot- BEYOND2000 -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 07:55:09 +0100

Cynthia wrote:

>All these fancy dee-grees being pushed around! [snip]

Well, I've got a degree, too, although not in Technical writing but in
Journalism. I've been working as a secretary, too, to finance my studies
and I don't think it was a bad thing. If you can write so your boss
understands it, you can write anything! ;-)

>I don't believe that my lack of degree(s) keeps me back. I've been blessed
>to work for a company where a person is not judged by how many pieces of
>paper are up on a wall, but by the quality of work they can produce. So,
>for those who don't have all them thar fancy dee-grees, don't despair.
>Sometimes raw talent and the willingness to learn can get you just as far.

I entirely agree with this!!! No fancy degree can replace talent or the
will to succeed. My first job was as a technical translator (I never had
done any translations ever before, but it worked out alright) and this got
me into technical writing. My company gave me this chance without a degree
in technical writing or any previous experience - well, no experience most
companies would have seen as relevant - and on top of that, I am German but
writing technical documentation in English, which is not my mother tongue.
They even trusted me with creating a documentation department from scratch.

There you go. Don't lose hope, just persevere until you do just what you
want to do.

There is hope for life without a degree!!! :-)

Sybille

Sybille Sterk
Technical Author and Translator (German)
Boffin Technology Ltd.

Email: Sybille -at- boffin -dot- beyond2000 -dot- co -dot- uk

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=