Re: Website readability

Subject: Re: Website readability
From: Diane Haugen <dhaugen -at- MEANS -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 10:51:14 -0500

At 9:34 AM -0400 8/18/98, Douglas Max wrote:

>... I wonder
>if black isn't better because of its greater contrast.

The question of black backgrounds comes up often on the graphics design
list because for some reason, graphic designers seem to really like that
black background. Even there, people seem to love them or hate them.

Personally, I loathe them. They are extremely hard to read any kind of
text on, and there seems to be a penchant for using fluorescent text to
make the stuff "easily" seen.

When I see a black home page, I quickly move on unless it's something that
I am desperate to find out about.

And finally, the lenses of my computer glasses are essentially the same
thing North Pole explorers use to cut down glare -- so the black background
with any kind of type is virtually unreadable.

My curmudgeonly thoughts on black backgrounds.

Diane Haugen

Diane Haugen Whiskey Creek Document Design
<http://www.rrv.net/wcdd/wc/index.html>

Editor, Document Design
<http://www.rrv.net/wcdd/dd/index.html>

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=