Paper docs for web-based applications

Subject: Paper docs for web-based applications
From: Tammy Hale <tammyh -at- FGM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 16:16:09 -0400

Hi folks,

I searched the archives on this topic and didn't find anything that applied.
Sorry in advance if I missed a thread somewhere and am posting redundant
questions.

Here's the situation:

I need to write a -paper- User's Manual for a web-based application and am
trying to decide the best way to do it.

My company has developed an application whose interface is a web browser. The
application looks and acts like an ordinary web site, with a lot of clicking to
get to different search engines. The search engines conform to standard rules
and do not vary much in function from page to page. The site also generates
reports from a database.

Does anyone have any experience writing a user's manual for a web site? Do you
know of any industry standard approaches?

I am -not- exploring the issue of whether or not it's a good idea to have a
paper-based manual for a web site. Also, I am *not* looking for information on
creating websites, developing help for on-line use, or web site style guides.
The manual I have to write is for -hard copy,- not on-line.

Thanks in advance for any information you can offer on writing paper user's
manuals for web-based applications.

Sincerely,

Tammy Hale
tammyh -at- fgm -dot- com