Re: Help! Need an ergonomic mouse

Subject: Re: Help! Need an ergonomic mouse
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- SOUNDY -dot- ML -dot- ORG>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 10:16:14 -0800

On Fri, 14 Aug 1998 08:24:58 -0700, Rowena Hart wrote:

>My employer is considering buying me an ergonomic mouse.
>There are several to choose from, and I need feedback from
>anyone who uses, or has evaluated, the following mice:

How do you feel about alternatives to the standard mouse?

After using my ThinkPad as my primary machine for a few months, I've
become very comfortable with its TrackPoint II (the little red eraser
nub pointer nestled between the G, H and B keys), so much so that I
often find myself going for it on standard keyboards before reaching
for a separate mouse.

It does take some getting used to, as any radically different pointing
device will, but I'm finding it quite natural, low-strain, and with
familiarity, it provides a surprising degree of control (it is
velocity-sensitive, meaning the harder you push it, the faster the
pointer moves).

IBM makes stand-alone keyboards with a built-in TrackPoint, if you want
to look at that option. They have the additional benefit of a mouse
jack so you can have that option as well (the mouse and TrackPoint are
available simultaneously). Last I looked, they did run about CDN$200,
so you might want to see if you can arrange an extended demo or
something, but I'd highly recommend giving one a test drive.

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<All standard disclaimers apply>
"Reality is in alpha test on protoype hardware."

It is impossible to rightly govern the world
without God and the Bible.
- George Washington

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=