Re: Getting starting in tech writing...

Subject: Re: Getting starting in tech writing...
From: Vicki Preston <vpreston -at- SQUIRRELSYSTEMS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 14:12:42 -0700

OK, Folks, here's the short and sweet version of how I became a tech
writer.

Graduated high school. Went to university and got a bachelor's degree in
Psych and Special Ed. Did a lot of writing in my 3rd and 4th year 'cause I
specifically sought out courses where marks were based on essays rather
than exams (I'm the type who freezes in an exam setting). Graduated. Spent
a couple of years working as a Research Assistant (again a lot of writing)
while deciding whether to apply to Law School, Architecture School or Grad
School (Psych). Decided on Architecture School and was thrilled to bits
when I was accepted. Half way through my degree I developed visual problems
and had to leave the program. So what did I do?

I applied for a job at a popular restaurant. Got it and learned everything
I could about the restaurant biz.This included accounting, menu planning,
staff scheduling, budgets, projections, etc. Managed a couple of trendy
restaurants and wanted out. It's a burn out business, so.....

I applied for a job as an installer for a POS restaurant system and got it.
The company's philosophy was that they could teach me the computer but they
needed a SME -- somebody who could relate to the needs and demands of the
restaurant industry and who knew the ins and outs of the business. After
being there a year the company decided to create a tech writing position
and, yup, I got it.

That was back in 1986. I worked at that company for five years, After that
freelanced, and worked for a major corporation and government agency (all
as a TW of course).

Currently, I'm working for the same POS restaurant system as I did in the
eighties. I really enjoy it here. Our Next Gen product is cutting edge and
I've got some wonderful high-tech toys to play with. Frankly, folks, I'm
one happy camper!

-vicki

Vicki Preston (vpreston -at- squirrelsystems -dot- com)
Senior Technical Writer
Squirrel Systems of Canada Ltd.
604-412-3300
http://www.squirrelsystems.com