Re: Technical Writing and Time

Subject: Re: Technical Writing and Time
From: Barry Kieffer <barry -dot- kieffer -at- EXGATE -dot- TEK -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 13:00:39 -0700

Arlen correctly notes:
> Back in my programming days, it was a matter fo pride to bum a few
> instruction cycles out of your code. Programmers today are sloppy by
> comparison, because of all the extra power they've got laying around.

The other difference is 20-years ago computer time was very expensive. The
code that was written had to be extremely terse to run quickly, thereby
reducing cost.

Today people are far more expensive than computer time. The time code takes
to run is not as important as the time it takes the programmer to write it.

The same can be said of us technical writers. The manuals I write need to be
complete but terse because it is the customers time that is important.

I spend agonizing hours poring over my work worrying that I missed something
that will cost the customer to spend needless time trying to figure
something out.

Time is money. Always has been, always will be.

Regards,

Barry Kieffer
Technical Writer
MBD Customer Documentation