Technical writers - entering the profession

Subject: Technical writers - entering the profession
From: Barry Kieffer <barry -dot- kieffer -at- EXGATE -dot- TEK -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 14:43:13 -0700

Jason writes:
"I, for one, would welcome someone from engineering, law, basket
weaving,
> secretarial, janitorial, or any other field who was truly interested in
> learning how to 'whirl."

As a card carrying and meeting attending STC member, I do my best to
interest folks who are not technical writers to become technical writers.

I not only welcome people to join our profession, I am eager to mentor them.

As new people enter into the technical writing profession, we already in the
profession should rise up in the ranks. As more and more technical writers
enter the profession, it becomes easier to tell professionals from
wannabees.

You can teach a person to paint, but you can not teach them talent. I have
taken an art class, and I have no artistic talent! The same can be said for
technical writers.

So lets welcome new people into the profession. If they are good at it,
great. If they are not good at it, they will not hide for long because
somebody with talent will come along and expose them.

I too have friends say: "anybody who finished high school and paid attention
can write."

I say: "Go for it, prove yourself".

Sticking my neck out again.

Regards,