how I didn't really want to be a tech writer

Subject: how I didn't really want to be a tech writer
From: Melissa Fisher <mfisher -at- AUTOMATEDLOGIC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 14:14:15 -0400

[yes, this is another long one. sorry.]
I've been reading everyone's stories and I've found them all very
interesting. Although folks are complaining about how it seems a lot of
newbies are coming into the field just for the money, I have to say from
the stories I've been hearing on this list that a love of writing is what
keeps folks here. After all, most people are motivated to do what they
enjoy. I would think someone who's in this for the money and likes writing
will improve their skills and become one of "us," while someone who doesn't
enjoy writing would probably quickly find another field. I won't say I
became a tech writer for the money; I was an English major and therefore
never expected to make money. Anyway, here's my story...

Once upon a time I entered college as a Communications major. On the right
track so far, but sometime in my freshman year I decided all the
Communications classes looked dull and boring, but the English Lit classes
looked very interesting. So I switched majors. Then suddenly (or so it
seemed) I graduated.

I knew about technical writing as a career option, but my scientific and
technical education had been sorely lacking since childhood, and no longer
was of much interest to me. So, apart from thinking that tech writing
would be at least as dull as that old communications major, I had no
experience with anything more technical than WordStar (which I only learned
because my boyfriend worked in the computer lab). (yes, I know I am dating
myself here.) And what do you do with an English major, no experience, and
no teaching credentials? (everyone in unison) Be a secretary!

Luckily I got that secretarial job at a computer software company, and I
had a great boss who never thought of me as a mere typist. Whenever any
writing project that I could help with came along, I was given the
opportunity. I began to take more interest in technology. I even helped
out the company's documentation department a few times, and I began to
consider that, hey, maybe tech writing wouldn't be so dull. Maybe I could
even be pretty good at it. I already knew I wasn't a very good secretary.
:-) I finally got a contract with the same company to update a user's
guide in my off hours. That break, combined with my eventual promotion to
technical support, helped me to land my first "real" tech writing job with
another company.

Finally, I found a way to do what I love (write!) and get paid for it! I
love having a job that continually offers me new challenges, and new things
to learn, and gives me the opportunity to continuously try to improve
myself and my work. I am still with the company who gave me that first
"real" job, though I left briefly to try my hand at contracting. Not that
I didn't enjoy contracting, mind you, but my former manager's position came
open and they offered me the job. (just one more reason to never burn any
bridges.)

And she lived happily ever after... :-)

Melissa Fisher
Automated Logic Corporation