How I Got Started

Subject: How I Got Started
From: Kathryn J Acciari <acciari -at- ACSU -dot- BUFFALO -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 11:20:03 -0400

All,

Thought I'd jump in on this thread, as I've enjoyed the stories that
others have contributed.

I've been officially employed as a tech writer for three years, and
getting here was not a conscious decision. I've always been a creative
type with strong analytical tendencies, and it's taken me over 10 years to
find a place where I can indulge in and satisfy my needs to explore,
create, write, and get technical.

After high school, I earned an associate's degree and became a medical
assistant. That satisfied my interest in science and medicine, but seeing
my patients die was a downer. When IBM personal computers came along, I
started to get into technology and studied biomedical computing. Got
promoted to a progamming position which was interesting but a little bit
too technical (my creative side was smothered). But, my programming
postion was expanded to included training and some small documentation
projects. Bingo! I thrived as a writer and trainer (guess I needed a
live audience), went back to school again for a degree in communication,
and created a writing position for myself three years ago.

It's been an interesting trip, and I can't wait to see how technology
changes in the next few years.

Regards,

Kathryn J Acciari
Technical Writer/Communicator
Buffalo, New York
acciari -at- acsu -dot- buffalo -dot- edu

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=