Re: Third-party books vs docs (Was: Good/bad docs)

Subject: Re: Third-party books vs docs (Was: Good/bad docs)
From: Beth Friedman <bjf -at- WAVEFRONT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 17:30:37 -0500

In our previous episode, Tim Huddleston said:
> Third-party books won't go away any time soon, even though docs are better
> than ever and improving all the time. (Compare the docs for Word 3 to Word
> 97 and you'll see what I mean.)

Was this intended as a joke? There is no hard-copy documentation for
Word 97; at least, not as packaged in Office 97. The sole hard-copy
documentation was _Getting Results With Microsoft Office 97_, which is
task-oriented and essentially useless for figuring out how a specific
function works.

The on-line help isn't bad, but there's no shelfware to speak of.
That doesn't bother me all that much for Word, but I would have liked
a manual for Excel and Access. Not to mention documentation for VBA,
which doesn't seem to exist in any form.

Beth Friedman How about those Cubs?
bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=