Frame Question (Summary)

Subject: Frame Question (Summary)
From: "Pilipovich, Kathleen" <Kathleen -dot- Pilipovich-1 -at- KMAIL -dot- KSC -dot- NASA -dot- GOV>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 11:38:45 -0400

Hi All,

I posted a question last week regarding a problem with
Frame. I have a book with 6 chapters. The numbering
worked for chapters 1, 2, & 3. Chapter 4 began
numbering at 1 again. I thought I'd follow up and let you
know what the problem was.

The book is short and the chapters are short, so I put
all 6 chapters in 1 file. Somehow, and I honestly have
no idea how, I had an EOF (end of file) marker at the
end of chapter 3. That's why chapter 4 started with 1
again. After pasting chapters 4 to 6 in the file with the
first 3 chapters, the numbering problem went away.

I'm the only one that works on this file. Previous
revisions worked just fine. Somewhere between these
revisions, I added some text that caused the EOF.

Here's a brief summary of the responses. Thanks to
all who responded.

Check that you have the numbering in your books set
up correctly. In the book file, first highlight the offending
file. From the File menu, select Set Up File. Check the
value in Paragraph Numbering. It should be Continue. If
it's set to Restart, that would cause your problem. (I'm
looking at the Windows 5.5 version so possibly your
menus and options might be a little different, but the
same functions should be there.) Let us know how you
get on.
Geraldine Whitt
Gen -dot- Whitt -at- SDInc -dot- com
-------------------
I have come across this same problem with Win95. Try
adding a tag to the beginning of the numbering scheme
in the paragraph designer, so that instead of <n+> as
the numbering scheme, you have A:<n+> Usually,
adding a label (the A:) to the numbering helps when
you *want* to restart numbering in the middle, so you
could then have B:<n+>, etc. This seems to be bug in
FrameMaker, though, and I've always "fixed" it this way.
Hope this helps.
Lin Morss
LMorss -at- elfinc -dot- com
-------------------
A small checklist: Do you use a series label in your
numbering property for the Chapter tag? Is the label
unique to this tag? If the label is not unique to this tag,
is the cumulative positioning of <n>'s, <n+>'s etc.
correct? Best regards
Guy
Guy -dot- SHIPPOBOTHAM -at- cedelgroup -dot- com
-------------------
This may be way out in left field, but I had a similar
problem with numbers in Frame. What I traced it to
was the presence of a numbered list (using the
paragraph descriptions for numbered items). The
numbering feature worked fine until a numbered list
appeared in the document, then if was thrown off in
unpredictable ways. As A quick test, if you have
numbered list, change it to a bulleted list and see
if the numbers are OK. If that is the problem, then
the only work around I found was to format the items
as body text, and then manually add the numbers.
Let me know if this works.
Dave McGill
david -dot- mcgill -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca
-------------------
I may know what's wrong. This one gets me every
time. Check all of your paragraph style autonumbering
formats. All formats with the same autonumbering
flow need to have the same number of bracketed (<>)
entries. They probably don't. My guess is that they
don't and you are using a paragraph format after the
chapter 3 paragraph that resets the numbering. Fix
them by adding entries and putting the autonumbers
in the appropriate positions. For example, the following
will not work properly:
Paragraph Autonumber
Chapter c:<n+>
Title c:< ><n+>
Figure c:<n+>
A Figure paragraph placed between two Chapter tags,
will mess up the chapter numbering. But, the following
WILL work:
Paragraph Autonumber
Chapter c:<n+>< >< >
Title c:< ><n+>< >
Figure c:< >< ><n+>
Now, a Figure paragraph placed between two chapter
tags will not affect the Chapter numbering. I believe you
need a space in the < > entry to make this work. There
is a selection for it in the paragraph designer's drop-down
list. Good luck. Remember, you can always save as MIF
and investigate in a text editor. But that's cumbersome.
Steve Gotler
sngotler -at- gotler -dot- com
-------------------
I'm not sure how the Frame interface on UNIX looks
(anymore; once did), but here's a Mac-interface solution:
1. Open the document's book (*.book) file.
2. Open the problem chapter, e.g., Chapter 3, from the
book window.
3. Select Format | Document | Numbering.
4. Check that "Restart Paragraph Numbering (No Undo)"
is not selected (active, checked, whatever) in the
Numbering Properties window.
5. Close the Numbering Properties window.
6. Select to highlight the file name of the problem chapter
in the document's book window.
7. With the problem-file highlighted in the book window,
select File | Set Up File.
8. Set the Paragraph Numbering Field to Continue.
9. Close the Set Up File window.
10. Save the book file.
Always work from the book (*.book) file; open the book
file, then open the chapter files from the resulting book
window. Failure to open the chapter files from the book
window results in autonumber, cross-ref, and other
hose-ups. G'luck!
Mark Forseth
markf -at- merge -dot- com
Check the File | Set Up File (!fd) menu item to see that
paragraph numbering continues, and does not start over
for the offending chapters.
Mark Dempsey
mxd2 -at- osi -dot- com

<<application/ms-tnef>>