Re: Tasks versus Job Descriptions. Was: Certification vs Help fr om our members

Subject: Re: Tasks versus Job Descriptions. Was: Certification vs Help fr om our members
From: Aileen Nelson <AileenN -at- ITGROUP -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 09:11:41 -0400

Hi All

I was in Human Resources for 2 years before switching to Writing and
Testing. I didn't hire a whole lot of tech writers, we hired mostly
developers but the one person that I did, well I was forced into hiring
him. At the interview, his speech patterns were so bad that I
immediately said "No". However, they needed someone so they hired him.
He didn't even have the industry knowledge we needed. The specs he
wrote were the worst I ever worked from. The other tech writers we had
were down in Minneapolis. When I got the help files, I started to test
them and was appaled at the language in them. The girl who wrote them
had taken some technical writer's diploma in college but obviously had
not learned grammar or style. When I left the company, I offered to
redo them as a part time contract worker. THey haven't taken me up on
that yet but I am still pushing it. Even the web page was awful. But
from what I can see of the industry, if your resume says "tech writer",
then you must be a tech writer.

A.