Proofreader Definition Wanted. Was: Proofreading tips

Subject: Proofreader Definition Wanted. Was: Proofreading tips
From: Bernie McCann <BernieMc -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 1998 11:23:32 EDT

Hi Doug;

<<
What techniques or processes have you found helped you to produce
documents free of errors in grammar, punctuation, and content?

I would never expect my proofreader to be looking for grammatical errors, for
two reasons:
a. There is never enough time in the proofreading schedule.
b. These things should have been discovered by the editor at both the draft
and final stages.

This question reflects the tendency, these days, for writers to edit their own
work, and relates to the other subject on the List, ie, poor software
documentation.

The tendency for companies and individuals to give the task of writing,
illustrating, editing, electronic publishing, proofreading, etc., to just one
person, is dangerous (he says, drifting slightly off topic!) and it causes a
loss of awareness of really well considered job descriptions. Perhaps,
someone could try hiring a "communicator" to be responsible for the five tasks
mentioned above and presenting, during the hiring process, five, separate,
well defined, job descriptions .... and then post the reaction/s to this List.

If you really meant editor rather than proofreader, then, all I can say is,
.... whoops! ;-)

Bernie

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=