Re: ADMIN: Being nice to each other -Reply

Subject: Re: ADMIN: Being nice to each other -Reply
From: Lisa Comeau <COMEAUL -at- CSA -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 13:38:53 -0400

I couldn't bear to pass up this opportunity to get on my 12 foot soapbox.
Ahem!

Stephen, you said:

"I think some list members tend to use the list as a personal assistant. That's quite all right, since some don't mind answering these types of questions, or spending time discussing them. But some of us don't,
and that's legitimate too. "

Absolutely! That's what a listserv is for, a chance for people to "mingle" with others in their field and get answers/support/feedback. You wouldn't go to a fundraiser for Blue Whales and start slamming conservationists who have only worked with Beluga Whales and are asking questions to better their knowledge, would you? (Well, some of you might, based on some of the flaming grenades that pass through here..but I digress).

If you want to respond, do so. If you want to read stuff, read it. If the subject line doesn't exist, make your decision "to read or not to read" based on whatever criteria you want.

As for Sean, I agree with what you said (for the most part...) But if the topic is "Being Nice To Each Other", I think you may have managed to obey and disobey this cardinal rule by posting an "offline response" to the list. I did it once (purely by accident), and the villagers came to my belltower with flaming gasoline torches. (Just a warning...) :)

If Mr. Green has given you permission to post this response to the list, that's different, but in the interest of privacy, there was a reason you didn't originally post to the list, what changed?

I am not (I repeat, I am *not*) slamming you Sean, I am just trying to understand the justification here.

To list posters in general:

I usually only post when I feel that something is in my field of knowledge, and as a result, many of you have thanked me for my insights. In this case, nice is not my middle name, but I *do* know that if you put all of the subscribers in a locked room, only the ones with the biggest teeth would survive if some of the the things people post are any indication.

We all have bloated egos sometimes, but I think it's time to put a stop to telling each other that some posts are more or less worthy of reading than others. Sift, for gosh sakes! Throw out the chaff! Nobody has to know, it's not like we're face to face talking to you and you're plugging your ears! It's not being rude, it's time management, and nobody knows you're doing it unless you tell them! Geez! :) Why do some of the list members feel it necessary to tell others that their opinions/comments aren't as
good as someone else's?

I have said it before, and will say it again, I'm sure...

"I do not have to agree with your opinion, but if I respect you, I *must* respect your opinion, as it belongs to you." And yes, I *do* respect the people on this list because they *may* have more:

*experience
*education
*insight
*knowledge
*skills

And you catch more flies with honey...

(Climbing off the soapbox and back down to earth...)
Lisa Comeau
IS Super-User/Trainer
Certification and Testing Division
Canadian Standards Association