Re: ADMIN: Being nice to each other

Subject: Re: ADMIN: Being nice to each other
From: Steve Arrants <stephena -at- COMPBEAR -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 09:17:37 -0700

I didn't read the original as slamming individuals, as much as the tendency
on the list (well, all lists, really) to be the "first line" for some
questions that may be better answered elsewhere. The "LED" discussion, for
example, probably could have been answered by referring the member to a
style guide. I think some list members tend to use the list as a personal
assistant. That's quite all right, since some don't mind answering these
types of questions, or spending time discussing them. But some of us don't,
and that's legitimate too. One thing that is very helpful are good Subject
lines. I can tell quickly which messages I'm NOT interested in, and which
ones I might want to read. (Aside: I wish the RoboHelp list enforced
this...there seem to be more messages without Subjects as there are with
'em.)

I don't know why folks feel that they HAVE to read every message that comes
across on a mailing list. Read what you want and chuck what you think is
dreck.