dancing between the lines

Subject: dancing between the lines
From: WandaJane Phillips <wjp -at- WRITELIVELIHOOD -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 11:58:29 -0400

I'm interested in talking to other contractors, particularly Canadians for
some of the business aspects, but I'm just finding myself a wee bit
overwhelmed with some parts of contracting such as:

* keeping track of client preferences, such as spellings and sentence
structures
* keeping my name in client's minds without becoming a nuisance
* getting evals from clients (so I can figure out whether they aren't
calling because there is no work or because my last piece for them sucked
something fierce)
* balancing work and home (which has always been an issue)

I find that I'm missing some of the discussions that used to have with
co-workers, even the arguments!

I'm not sure about direction and so on. I would like to study a wide range
of technologies, but I don't have contracts to support the study and I
don't have the resources to study for the sheer pleasure of learning.

How do I develop business ideas? I have some ideas that I would like to
develop, but I am not sure I know how. I've thought some stuff through, and
talked to some folks, but I am not 100 percent sure.

I'm doing a ton of things, and I would like to connect more with people in
my situation. I run my own business, I don't work for anyone else. I am my
business (I think there was a phone company commercial along that line,
<g>) and I want my business to reflect me and my concerns. I want my
business to grow, I want to run the business as it grows, not be run by it.

I would even consider setting up an ad-hoc list if there was enough interest.

WandaJane

*** WandaJane Phillips **** Write Livelihood ****
Creative Solutions to Technical Communications
********** http://www.writelivelihood.com *********

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=