Software that can read Word's Index Entries

Subject: Software that can read Word's Index Entries
From: Kathryn Butterly <kbutterl -at- GTE -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 19:51:51 -0400

Hi all,

My company's training manuals are getting to be increasingly long and, as has been mentioned numerous times on this list, Word is not up to the task.

Our need is for a software program that can do three things:

  1. Read MS Word 7.0 embedded Index Entries.
  2. Index across multiple documents and
  3. Allow page numbers that include the volume #, chapter #, and page #.
The third point is the real hang up.  I can't get word to include anything other than the chapter number.  Does the VBA that comes with Word 97 allow the Page Number field to be modified to allow this?  If so, that might solve my problem, since I think that Word's index feature is pretty dumb and will just take whatever is in the page number field and use it in the index.

I have not been able to find anything in the archives on this.  Any info, ideas, or war stories will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kathryn