Re: WORD, A Word Processor. Was: The Tools Tech Writers Use

Subject: Re: WORD, A Word Processor. Was: The Tools Tech Writers Use
From: GM Vick <gmv -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 17:08:35 -0700

If your system didn't crash at over 20 MB, consider yourself blessed.

Just this afternoon, for nowhere near the first time, I crashed out of
Word97 while working in a particular 116 KILOBYTE file that is 10 pages of
tables and several instances of columns. I have 32 MB of RAM and a
Pentium. Usually I don't have this problem unless the file is greater than
15 MB or so, but Word just hates this little file.

On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, David Meadows wrote:

> [...]
> >times in basic functionality. The very concept that a program would
> become
> >unstable with
> >files a mere megabyte long -- 3% of a modest system's memory -- is
> >incredible. I'll bet [...]
>

> Just to even the score a little, I have found Word to be a remarkably
> robust word processor. I have routinely worked with files over 20
> megabytes long -- on what I considered a grossly under-specified
> machine -- and never experienced a system crash. Sure, it slows down a
> little at that size, but the machine was under-powered for the task.
>
> I must admit, my co-worker crashed Word and/or Windows several times a
> day while performing the same tasks. I have to wonder, though, how much
> is the fault of the tool and how much is the fault of the user? Maybe I
> have just been particularly lucky, but I prefer to think that my
> computer runs smoothly because I treat it right. Windows software is
> ridiculously complicated and is far from being zero-maintenance.
>
> >The rule of thumb is: "Only use Word on the documents you don't want to
> >keep."
>
> Hmmm... my rule of thumb is: "be good to Windows and it will be good to
> you".
>
> --
> David Meadows [ Technical Writer | Information Developer ]
> DNRC Minister for Littorasy * david -at- goldenheroes -dot- softnet -dot- co -dot- uk
> "Is not this the most reprehensible form of ignorance,
> that of thinking one knows what one does not know?"
> -- Socrates
>
> From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000==

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=