The Tools Tech Writers Use

Subject: The Tools Tech Writers Use
From: Henry Korman <korman -at- WP-CONSULTING -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 23:01:08 -0700

A different perspective--

I do most of my work--end-user hardware and software documenation--on a Mac.

For the first 30-50% of a project, I work in More, an old, but serviceable
and flexible dedicated outlining program. It allows me to develop and try
out several alternative document structures, and via cloning anything from
a chapter to a paragraph, keep the alternatives up to date with no extra
work.

For the second stage, I move to Word 5.1, which lets me view my work as an
outline or as a continuous scrolling document. I often split the window to
view the outline in one part, the formatted text in the other (scrolling
the outline scrolls the text). I don't want a page view when I write. I
don't publish from Word.

For the publishing stage, I move to FrameMaker for paper, PageSpinner and
GoLive for HTML and HTML-based online help. I have my own templates for
conversion. I don't like writing in Frame.

Henry Korman

Wordplay Consulting Email: korman -at- wp-consulting -dot- com
No-Hype Info Design--onlne & off Voice: (510) 841-5858
http://www.wp-consulting.com Fax: (510) 848-0159
Coauthor of "How to Communicate Technical Information"

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=