Re: question: bulleted lists and periods

Subject: Re: question: bulleted lists and periods
From: Greg Hanek <ghanek -at- INDIANA -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 23:38:32 -0600

By 12:00 AM -0500 7/31/98, Steve Pendleton <SPendlet -at- COGNEX -dot- COM> is
alleged to have typed (at least in my copy of the digest):

> But a simple bulleted list really is just an orthographic variation of a
> comma-delimited list. You wouldn't hesitate to use a period here: "Spot
> ran north up the block, chased an drunken badger, rolled over three
> times, and barfed on the Smith's petunias."
>
> So why not use one here:
>
> Spot:
> - Ran north up the block
> - Chased a drunken badger
> - Rolled over three times
> - Barfed on the Smiths petunias.
>
> The bullets are a typesetting device to open up the list to make it
> easier to read. They don't change the underlying grammar.

<stirring the pot intentionally>
According to the style guide where I work, that example would require
a numbered list, not a bulleted list. The sentence example indicates
a particular order in which Spot performed those actions, hence the
numbering.

If Spot performed that way, but at varying times, or in no particular
order, then a bulleted list would be appropriate.

Either way, the list items should have a parallel structure, and if
you are going to use punction, also be consistant with it, too. So
speaketh our hallowed Style Guide.
</stirring the pot intentionally>

(BTW, how do we know Spot's not being blamed for the badger's actions
at the Smith's property?)

--

Greg Hanek ghanek -at- indiana -dot- edu
Please help put the "fun" back in dysfunctional.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=