Re: Book Recommendations

Subject: Re: Book Recommendations
From: Kari Kells <indexwest -at- MINDSPRING -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 10:09:53 -0500

I've taught technical indexing through the Dept of Technical Communications
at the University of Washington (and continue to teach indexing workshops
in the Seattle-area), and I have yet to find a technical writing book that
covers indexing very well. However, I use excerpts from the following in
my classes and workshops:

. Lanyi, Gabriel _Managing Documentation Projects in an Imperfect World_
. Tarutz, Judith A. _Technical editing: the practical guide for editors and
writers_
. Woolever, Kristen R. _Writing for the computer industry_

You might also check STC proceedings for occasional sessions on indexing
(I've sometimes pointed students to proceedings from '91 and '93).
Warning: the above are not written by professional indexers. Keep this in
mind if you consult these works. I don't know how useful those would be
without hearing comments or opinions of the works from professional
indexers. 8-) (Is my bias showing?)

The _best_ book around on indexing that most indexing instructors use
(myself included) is _Indexing Books_ by Nancy Mulvany. It's a light read,
so you won't find it a chore to finish, and it gives you a very realistic
look at what is involved in writing a useful, professional quality index.
I personally would never recommend anyone attempt writing an index without
first reading Mulvany's book cover to cover.

For titles of other books about learning indexing, there is a page on the
American Society of Indexers web site (http://www.ASIndexing.org) that
lists books about indexing. Most of the books listed there are probably
more in-depth than you're interested in, unless you're thinking of becoming
a professional indexer.

Hope this helps.
-Kari

Kari Kells