Re: soft hyphens: yes or no?

Subject: Re: soft hyphens: yes or no?
From: Steve Pendleton <SPendlet -at- COGNEX -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 14:53:42 -0700

>Was just wondering what some of your takes are
>on using hyphens in documents to break sentences
>in mid-word.

I permit hyphenation in some contexts but deny it in others.

For guide and tutorial text, I generally enable hyphenation for most
paragraph tags, but I specify conservative standards so that
hyphenation is rare. In FrameMaker, increasing 'shortest prefix'
and 'shortest suffix' both to '4' looks about right. For words you
never want to hyphenate, such as product names, prepend
a hyphen to the entry in the site dictionary, or type Ctrl-hyphen to
deny hyphenation in a particular word. While we're at it, non-breaking
hyphens and spaces are a good habit for short compounds
like '8-bit.' I've never found a way to make a non-breaking en dash-
if someone knows a trick, that'd be great.

For most reference text, say programmer's reference pages,
I totally disable hyphenation.

Steve Pendleton, Technical Writer DeLuxe
Cognex, Acumen Products Group
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain"