Q. Acronyms -- Keep The Caps?

Subject: Q. Acronyms -- Keep The Caps?
From: Rowena Hart <rhart -at- INTRINSYC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 13:53:58 -0700

I need some expert opinions about how to define
acronyms in the body of a document.

I use the old journalism rule and don't capitalize the
first letter of each word in the acronym. For example:

COM (component object model)
HTML (hyper text mark-up language)

The programmers I work with prefer to keep the
first-letter capitalized in acronym definitions, ie:

COM (Component Object Model)

I don't want to start a style war on the list, so if you
have a strong opinion either way, send me a reply
directly at rhart -at- intrinsyc -dot- com

Thanks in advance,

Rowena

Rowena Hart
Technical Writer