Re: Layoffs and scrounging

Subject: Re: Layoffs and scrounging
From: "Brian, Flaherty" <bflaher -at- INDCON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 12:25:06 -0400

Replay to *Layoffs and Scrounging*:

"Been there, done that!"

First, no one is indispensable in any company or industry (including the
*going strong* computer industry). Companies can go (and have gone)
under despite the economy (yes, even in a good economy, companies,
including computer ones, do go under!!!).

As for your cubicle property: technically, it is the domain of your
company. Unless it is personal (that is, you actually own the
property), you cannot take it with you should you be *let go*. This
also applies to project information (which can extend to documents and
memos); since it can be (and usually is) classified as *company
proprietary and confidential* (corporate secrets). (Note: the ethics of
using document samples from a former employer has also been discussed at
length on this list -- check the archives.)

As for being *called back* -- unless a company has a strong turnaround;
that may or may not happen. That happened to me when I was *let go*
(laid-off) from one company. They called me back 18 months later, but,
by then, I was already in a new job in a strong company and one that I
liked very much. I did not like the company that laid me off anyway,
so, I cordially (and professionally) declined coming back when they did
ask me to return. If you like the company and they call you back, and
do not like or feel so-so about where you are currently working, and are
on good terms with the company calling you back; then, by all means go
back. (But, in the final analysis, it is up to you.)

As for *scavengers* scoping up *the loot* from the cubicles of those who
had left: in all the companies I've worked for, that usually happens
(even to people who resigned on good terms). When you come back (should
you choose to do so), you will most likely be treated as a new hire
(unless the company as some form of re-instatement policy, or Vestment
policy of 2, 3, or so years -- in other words, your benefits seniority
[*years of service*] is vested for X years that you had worked for a
former employer for N years; if you come back ON or BEFORE N years, your
X years of seniority are preserved [*years of service* = X]; if you come
back AFTER *N* years, you loose whatever benefits had been vested, and
you start from ground zero as a de facto new hire -- *years of service*
= 0 [policy varies from company-to-company]).

My advice to you at this time:

1. Don't overreact! Continue doing your job as usual.

2. Polish up your resumé and update your references.

3. Start *looking outward* on the market for a potential new job.

Take it from one who has been there: do these things, and, should the
axe fall, you'll be better prepared. But *stay cool* and don't let it
get to you.

Good luck!

Brian Flaherty
ICS, Paramus, NJ (USA)