Re: Go Completely "On-line"

Subject: Re: Go Completely "On-line"
From: Max Wyss <prodok -at- PRODOK -dot- CH>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 22:45:06 +0200

Roger,

With voluminous documentation, it is indeed a big advantage to have it
available on screen, and fully searchable. Also, it is not such a big
surprise to me, that they call in instead of looking at the manual first. I
had a client who had a strategy about that. If someone called with a
question where the answer was obvious in the manual, their response was
"read the manual on page $$$". It helped.

My direct experience with on-line documentation is for myself. I did put
quite a bit of the Adobe Acrobat documentation on my local harddisk and
indexed the whole stuff with Catalog. Now, I have a very fast full text
search capability across about 25 documents (ranging from 10 pages to 1700
pages).

So, you may already guess my comments (and also my bias).

One thing you must keep in mind. The documentation you deliver on-line (or
better on CD-ROM) is still kind of a legal document. This means that you
will have to guarantee the integrity of the contents of your documents.
This is something you may have serious problems to do with a HTML based
solution compared to the PDF format. So, you should very carefully look at
what you deliver, in order to protect your butts in this respect. So, if
your clients want to avoid to "install one more steps", you might have them
to sign a document in which they agree that the integrity of contents of
the documentation is not guaranteed.

For your side, as you start from Framemaker documents, you do already have
quite a good support for the PDF format built in. From what I hear, the
support for HTML is not that good at all. So, you will have to do way more
post-processing for a functional HTML solution.

Another issue is indexing, which can be made rather easy for a CD-ROM
version, using Acrobat Catalog. I guess that there are some HTML based
solutions, but I am not sure about the additional effort on your and your
client's side.

The "shopping cart" function could be implemented with an Acrobat Form
using JavaScript.

Hope, this can help.

Max Wyss
PRODOK Engineering AG
Technical documentation and translations, Electronic Publishing
CH-8906 Bonstetten, Switzerland

Fax: +41 1 700 20 37
e-mail: mailto:prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch or 100012 -dot- 44 -at- compuserve -dot- com

Bridging the Knowledge Gap ...

... with Acrobat Forms ... now for belt drive designers at

http://www.prodok.ch/prodok/riemen.html