Various numbering issues (Re: Word page numbering problem)

Subject: Various numbering issues (Re: Word page numbering problem)
From: JIMCHEVAL -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 12:00:36 EDT

In a message dated 98-07-22 05:25:24 EDT, pspeear -at- TRIPLE-P -dot- NL writes:

<< until I highlight the tag and press F9. However, once I save and
close, the page numbering reverts to "1 of 1, 2 of 1". I've looked
through every menu I could find but can't seem to find a way to change
this. >>
Disconcerting as this is, I don' think it's actually WRONG. The Number of
Pages field has to wait until you've performed some action that actually
counts the pages before it can have a meaningful value. Since the page count
can change from one session to another (sometimes for no better reason than
that you're using different fonts on different machines), it's reset to the
default when you first open the document. Irritating but not completely
irrational.

A bit more frustrating is the use of chapter numbers with page numbers (4-2.
5-1, etc.). This too keeps resetting itself. When I use automatic numbering
in the headings, I have discovered that I sometimes have to re-apply the
corresponding style before the chapter number is updated in the page number
reference.

Since just about everything connected with automatic numbering is buggy in
Word 97, I should mention something really obscure. When I automatically
numbered Appendix headings with Heading 5 style, they would look fine on
screen but print with spaces between letters. At first I thought this was a
printer problem, but it happened both on HP and Lexmark.

Turns out the difference came down to using a tab rather than a space when you
define the automatic numbering for the heading (on the menu that appears when
you click on 'More'.)

If it's numbering, expect problems.

Jim Chevallier
North Hollywood