Re: "Wish" in tech docs

Subject: Re: "Wish" in tech docs
From: "Huber, Mike" <mrhuber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 15:22:18 -0400

For me, "wish" has a much stronger magical connotation than "appear" does.
And it just feels wrong in a technical document. "Want" doesn't feel right
either, but to a lesser degree.

The problem with either word, I think, is that those words imply a certain
level of emotion that the user almost certainly isn't feeling. I mean, do I
really wish, desire, or even want to edit that Destination? Nah. If Da Boss
comes by and tells me I can skip it, I won't be disappointed.

So many of these questions come down to saying what you mean.

Besides, I'd rather turn the whole sentence around:

Step 1: To edit a Destination, click its entry in the Destination list.

---
Office:
mike -dot- huber -at- software -dot- rockwell -dot- com
Home:
nax -at- execpc -dot- com