Re: 'directions below' or 'below directions'?

Subject: Re: 'directions below' or 'below directions'?
From: Lisa Higgins <lisarea -at- LUCENT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 11:15:09 +0000

So then, Gina Hertel is all like:

> If you wish to see a listing of all Destinations and their
> properties, follow the *below directions*. If you wish to see a
> listing of all Destinations and their properties, follow the
> *directions below*.
>
> I thought we weren't supposed to end sentences with a preposition,
> yet I've had two co-workers opt for the latter. Any ideas?

'Below,' in this case, is arguably not a preposition; and in any
case, 'below directions' is not a prepositional phrase--it's just the
word below with another word after it. IOW, it's not 'below the
directions,' it's the directions that appear below this text.

Definitely use 'directions below.'

Lisa
lisarea -at- lucent -dot- com