Re: Use of term nominal and nominally

Subject: Re: Use of term nominal and nominally
From: Buck and Tilly Buchanan <writer -at- NTWS -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 11:33:08 -0500

Brad Connatser wrote:

> In the electrical/electronics world, nominal means rated or matched to
> rated. For example, for a 480-volt motor, 480 volts is nominal. In a
> 120-volt electrical system, 120 volts is nominal.
>
> Brad

Although several posters have replied to your request for a better
definition for 'nominal,' I haven't read any that said:

Nominal voltage for home use is 120 volts (sometimes 117). Small
variations around this are acceptable. The permissible variation is
different for some equipment. Some manufacturers state '120 Volts Plus
or minus 5.'

Your power company will tell you exactly what it means to them and to
their customers.

luck

--

Buck and Tilly Buchanan