Books - what are the best references for HTML?

Subject: Books - what are the best references for HTML?
From: Tytus Pluciennik <tytusp -at- ADLEX -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 09:45:38 +0200

Hi folks!
First, I'd like to thank all of you for the helpful advice you sent me
concerning my .pdf crisis. Thanks to your e-mails, the problem has been
resolved.
My second question to you kind folks concerns HTML. Mainly, what do you
consider a good resource (book) for Web publishing. I need to make online
help in straight HTML for our software, which is to be run on Unix. I need
this online help to be as browser independent as possible, yet I keep
running into books that are either geared for Netscape or IE. I think I need
a general HTML reference that is not written for "Dummies", but is on an
intermediate level. Any suggestions?

Thank You in Advance.

Tytus Pluciennik,
Gdansk, Poland