Re: Working with translators

Subject: Re: Working with translators
From: Damien Braniff <Damien_Braniff -at- PAC -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 14:48:00 +0100

All the comments I've seen so far on this make sense but I would add a few
points.

If you are going to be translating a lot of material it is probably best
to stick with one agency/translator. This (usually!) means you get a
"better" translation regards consistency over a range of product lit.
We use one company for all our French translation and have found that
they get used to the terminology etc used in our field.

It's worth considering using one of the larger translation companies -
often more expensive but they will usually take on a lot of the
administration, QA etc and cut down on the time you have to spend
"tidying-up" before release. The company we use have, in the past,
talked directly to the distributors in the target country and sorted out
any queries without involving us directly. This meant that when the
docs came back they were already approved and ready for release.

If you are writing new lit with translation in mind it is worth building
additional white space into the English version. This allows for the
expansion in translated versions (not as important if the layouts don't
need to match up exactly).

Damien Braniff
Technical Author
PAC International