Re: Need info on Training Plans/Objectives List

Subject: Re: Need info on Training Plans/Objectives List
From: Elna Tymes <etymes -at- LTS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 16:24:01 -0700

Lisa Comeau is all, like:

> I have been asked to come up with a training plan for my division. As the only trainer on staff, this is a big deal, as it will be used as a model for other branches to use when hiring their trainers. I have never done anything like this, and have yet to find a format for it that works well. Anyone ever done one? Any suggestions? Comments? Dire warnings?

Training plans, like documentation plans, include a set of objectives, a
statement about the intended audience(s), what content needs to be
delivered, in roughly what format, and according to what schedule. It
also includes a section on existing and needed resources (personnel,
facilities, equipment). Most training plans for a period of time show
three kinds of time: preparation time for new courses, learning time for
the instructor(s), and delivery time. Most new trainers underestimate
learning time for themselves and recovery time from delivering a class,
and they seriously underestimate the amount of prep. time for a new
course.

And then she goes:
> I have also been asked by my supervisor to do a bit of his job. Actually, this is a *good* thing, as this job consists of writing out the list of objectives for my position. No particular format has been specified, but I'd like it to look professional, and have any and all info I may need.

Sounds like you have a wonderful opportunity to define your own job.
What's needed here is for you to look at what your job can offer the
company, and state those things as objectives. You can slant them to
fit your particular skill set, but you should allow room for you to grow
in the department you're defining.

Have fun!

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems