(Project Mgmt) was RE: Question: saving or storing comments and i nfo from SMEs

Subject: (Project Mgmt) was RE: Question: saving or storing comments and i nfo from SMEs
From: "Bergen, Jane" <janeb -at- ANSWERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 13:31:46 -0500

> Gayle Hoffman wrote:
> >
> > Question: Do you save or store hard copy or online review
> comments and
> > info from SMEs? If yes, then how or for how long?

I missed the original query so I'm not sure I have the whole story, but
thought this might help.

Yes, I save comments from SMEs, QA reviewers, or anyone else. I take
notes at all product meetings and save those, too. I store everything,
including email messages, in a 3-ring project notebook that is kept
FOREVER...and I can't tell you how many times it has saved my rear-end.
So, Gayle, don't you keep a project notebook? If not, consider starting
one. As the only writer in my organization, I find it critical to
keeping organized. I'm always working on multiple (up to 6) completely
different projects at once. I document software so this may be
appropriate for you.
Here are the contents:

1) My project setup sheet - this (one sheet, front and back) includes
what the product is (description, my deliverables), why we're doing it
(goals and objectives), who it's for (intended audience), important
milestone dates, who is working on the team (SMEs, QA, etc.), and their
respective roles.

2) Project record - a simple little form I made up that works almost
like a diary. I record changes, new builds, milestones, etc.

3) Project Task list - another self-made form that functions both as a
to-do list and a permanent record. It lists the task ("distribute review
copies to QA"), the Resource name (for example, the name of an engineer
who is supposed to give me new screen shots), date started, target
finish, actual finish, and notes ("review #3").

4) All correspondence, meeting notes, etc.

5) The engineering design doc

6) Screen shots on paper. When one changes, I note the date and add the
new one.

I also keep ALL review copies of my drafts. For each project I have a
manuscript box (bought in bulk from the office supply) where I store the
drafts. The reviewers mark right in the text itself (the don't touch my
files) and sign and date an attached form, which I also keep. You
mentioned that your reviewers do it on hard copy, which is what I
strongly recommend, but how do they respond? Tell them to write their
notes on the text itself or you won't be able to remember. I also
instruct them, on the sign off sheet, to please not put words like
"wrong" or "confusing" -- but tell me WHY it's wrong or HOW it's
confusing. If you do it nicely, they'll usually work with you.

At the end of the project, I put into the box these items: the project
notebook (removed from the binder and stapled with a heavy-duty
stapler), the draft review copies, a clean camera-ready printout of the
final doc, and diskettes with all the documents, online help, etc. I
write on the box the name of the project, date closed, etc. Oh, and I
also made up a final edit checklist and an archive checklist (for
checking things into the box...it keeps me from forgetting anything).

I find that most software engineers are prima donnas. They think that we
are their support staff and not quite as "on the ball" as they are...or,
gee, we'd be engineers too. You have to just learn to handle attitudes,
I suppose. I work very hard at massaging egos and it pays off. But stand
your ground, too, when it's necessary. And oftentimes you have to
explain WHY you need something done a certain way.

Sorry for the longwinded Project Management 101 rant, but maybe it will
help someone. I'd be happy to share my forms with someone.

Jane
Jane Bergen, Technical Writer
AnswerSoft, Inc.
Richardson, TX (972)997-8355