Re: fostering plagiarism

Subject: Re: fostering plagiarism
From: WandaJane Phillips <wjp -at- WRITELIVELIHOOD -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 12:51:21 -0400

At 07:35 01/07/98 -0500, Michael Burke wrote:
> >I read the article
> >(http://www.mercurycenter.com/premium/business/docs/webside28.htm)
> >and though not a professional 'webbie' sent a message to them in
> >disgust. I thought we were all taught not to plagiarize...
>

> Assuming the concern is with the paragraph in the article that
> suggests:
>
> Look for pages you like on the Web, save them into
> your page-making program, then cut out the content
> on the pages and put yours in.
>
> This is quite a common suggestion from those who would teach HTML. I
> can't recall exactly which books I've seen this in, but I read a few
> texts when I was learning HTML and I did see that suggestion posed.
> The authors suggested using existing web pages almost as a template
> for creating your won.

actually, I've seen it suggested that people LOOK at the code for pages
they like, and I do it all the time when I see a page that does something I
think is worth noting. But, I don't just dump their content and use their
code.

wjp
/* Write Livelihood - Documentation that solves problems
/* WandaJane Phillips wjp -at- writelivelihood -dot- com
/* Visit our web site at http://www.writelivelihood.com/