Re: Help tool and training

Subject: Re: Help tool and training
From: "Wing, Michael J" <mjwing -at- INGR -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 10:09:49 -0500

Paul;

My first question is do you need a Help Authoring Tool at all? I've tried
an assortment of HATs and always found them too constraining. Thus, I've
worked all my projects HATless and developed my own macros to perform
redundant tasks.

If you are only producing help files, the focus should be on mastering RTF
and WinHelp (assuming you are working WinHelp) instead of learning a tool
that manipulates them for you. Therefore, if troubleshooting and
customization is required, you work directly with the source (instead of
through an interface). Thus, you remove one layer of troubleshooting (is it
a WinHelp, RTF, or HAT problem?). My suggestion is to first to try to work
the RTF files without a HAT.

Mike

Michael Wing (mailto:mjwing -at- ingr -dot- com)
Principal Technical Writer
Intergraph Corporation; Huntsville, Alabama
http://www.ingr.com/iss/products/mapping/

"Humpty was pushed!"