Re: FrameMaker/RoboHelp/WinHelp Tutorials

Subject: Re: FrameMaker/RoboHelp/WinHelp Tutorials
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 17:56:51 -0400

bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com wrote:

> In our previous episode, Bruce Byfield said:
>
> > --Ask someone to borrow their CD (but not the registration number). Many
> > products can be installed as a demo copy without a registration number.
> > These installations are completely legal.
>
> That's not true of Adobe products. In fact, I've never seen that.
> Every software can think of either requires the registration number or
> doesn't (mostly, it does), but doesn't have a number-free demo
> version. There may be some, of course, but I don't think it's common.

Check the installation menu of FrameMaker. When it comes up, you have a
choice to install as a demo (that is, without a licence) or as a
registered
owner.

The demo doesn't allow you to save, and (I think) prints a watermark on
all
printed pages.

But, if installing as a demo isn't legal, then someone should tell the
people who do Adobe demos - I've had at least two tell me that it is.
Also, I've seen
"demo" copies given out by Adobe whose only difference from a commercial
copy was the lack of a manual and a registration number.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Co-ordinator ,Vancouver Technical Communicators' Co-op List

"Unjust and spiteful criticism taught me more than a quiet acceptance
would have done, and for that, I thank those blundering judges who were
responsible for my education. The motivations behind their judgments
enlightened me and allowed me to enjoy a clear conscience. A sincere
mind turns everything to its advantage, and that which would discourage
mere vanity redoubles the fervor of real commitment."
-George Sand