FrameMaker/RoboHelp/WinHelp Tutorials

Subject: FrameMaker/RoboHelp/WinHelp Tutorials
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 18:39:04 -0400

Jim Gilliam <techwriter -at- ARISTOTLE -dot- NET> wrote:

>I'm finishing up my thesis in my MA technical writing program and have
>found that several jobs I would like to apply for require software
>applications like FrameMaker & RoboHelp, etc. Because these programs
>are expensive, I was wondering if there are any tutorials out there that
>I can download and still experiment with and learn. That way I can
>provide some type of evidence on my resume that I do have experience
>(even tutorial experience) with these packages.

Jim:

A few suggestions:

--Adobe regularly gives out CDs of FrameMaker and other products
at demos; you contact Adobe and see what's available.

--Ask someone to borrow their CD (but not the registration number). Many
products can be installed as a demo copy without a registration number.
These installations are completely legal.

--The educational prices for some software is about a third of the full
price. Once you buy, your licence is treted the same as anyone else's.

--Buy used copies from used software stores, then upgrade to current
versions.
You can sometimes end up paying less than a quarter of the full price.

--Failing all these suggests, prioritize your needs and skimp and save
to meet them.

That's what I did when I was switching careers a couple of years ago.
At that time, FrameMaker was fabulously expensive for me, but learning
it was probably the best thing I could have done. It got me hired, and
the first
three days of professional work paid for it.

Hope these ideas help.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Co-ordinator ,Vancouver Technical Communicators' Co-op List

"Unjust and spiteful criticism taught me more than a quiet acceptance
would have done, and for that, I thank those blundering judges who were
responsible for my education. The motivations behind their judgments
enlightened me and allowed me to enjoy a clear conscience. A sincere
mind turns everything to its advantage, and that which would discourage
mere vanity redoubles the fervor of real commitment."
-George Sand