Re: Word 97 numbering question

Subject: Re: Word 97 numbering question
From: Beth Friedman <bjf -at- WAVEFRONT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 12:27:23 -0500

In our previous episode, Ginna Watts said:
> I'm about ready to make everyone type in the numbers. Does anyone
> have a solution ??

I wouldn't use list numbering for anything but the simplest functions;
it's too flaky.

Instead, I'd suggest using field codes. That way you can have
multiple numbering schemes if necessary.

The field code you need is "seq", and then a descriptor for every
different sequence. There's a switch on the field code to make it
start at a particular number.

What I do is create two autotext entries, one with the seq code forced
to start at one, and one that autonumbers. Then I insert the
first one for any start of a list, and the autonumbering one for any
subsequent numbers.

One warning: the numbers don't renumber automatically unless you have
your fields set to update automatically. Otherwise, you need to
select anyplace the numbers appear (or select the whole document) and
press F9.

Beth Friedman bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com
"Your eyes are like aquariums," he murmured admiringly.
"Don't you mean -- aquamarines?"
"No -- aquariums. They're sort of a murky green."