Re: Gender and Tech Writing (Any info on Toronto?)

Subject: Re: Gender and Tech Writing (Any info on Toronto?)
From: Suzette Seveny <sseveny -at- PETVALU -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 12:51:04 -0400

Mary,

I have noticed rates/salaries for tech writers to be on a par throughout
southern Ontario. Software companies in particular, are migrating OUT of
the Toronto core for a variety of reasons such as cost of space,
transportation, etc. The big centres seem to be Markham, Burlington,
Ottawa (aka Silicon Valley North), Oshawa, etc.

The only *proof* I have of this is with the Hi-Tech Career Fairs, Ward &
Associates, Saber Consultants, Contractors Network, etc. Check out their
web pages and you won't see much difference based on location. There is no
noticeable difference based on gender either.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you want more search tips.

Suzette Seveny
Technical Writer
Pet Valu Canada Inc.
Markham, Ontario, Canada
sseveny -at- petvalu -dot- com or suzette -at- yesic -dot- com

Mary Perchanok wrote:
> I'm looking for entry-level technical writing work and I would like to
> extend my search to Toronto, but I haven't a clue what the salary range
> is, male or female. The STC salary survey shows the median salary for
> Ontario, but I know from my experience in graphic design that the salary
> level in Toronto is not going to be the same as it is in Eastern or
> Southern Ontario.
SNIP