Re: Anyone used the new JavaHelp???????

Subject: Re: Anyone used the new JavaHelp???????
From: Jim Ramsay <JRamsay -at- RADIANCEGROUP -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 14:08:07 -0600

I'm writing help for a Java application. I've converted some of my
home-grown HTML help to JavaHelp1.0 EAR, and it works, but is very
limited in what you can do. It appears that context sensitive help is a
ways off, everything runs a little roughly, and it does not support
anchors, even within the same HTML file, at the moment. Since there is
no authoring support, I had to code the XML files ("helpsets," contents,
and index files) by hand. The folks at Sun are pretty helpful, however,
and will respond promptly to any questions (check them out at
http://java.sun.com/products/javahelp/).

For the moment, I'm sticking to my home-grown solution with straight
HTML using the HotJava bean for a browser. Other solutions I looked at
briefly are Jelp (http://www.jelp.com), oracle's help for java
(http://www.oracle.com/products/tools/ohj) and jeditor, and of course
the HTML Help RTF stuff (RoboHTML, ForeHTML, and Doc-to-help), but they
won't support JavaHelp until it is released sometime this summer =:-|.
I'd be interested in anyone else's experiences with JavaHelp they'd like
to share.

Jim Ramsay Technical Publications
The Radiance Group, Inc. (303) 444-4370 x106
jramsay -at- radiancegroup -dot- com (303) 444-5388 Fax

Quote of the Day:
The sun got confused about daylight savings time. It rose
twice. Everything had two shadows. -- Steven Wright