Writing samples for the TS/EBSI crowd

Subject: Writing samples for the TS/EBSI crowd
From: John Bell <jbell -at- PARAGREN -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 09:37:21 -0400

Barbara Karst-Sabin wrote:

> I wish my problem were as simple as Natalie's. I've spent almost my
entire
> career working in the intelligence community. Almost everything I wrote
was
> classified, so I cannot provide writing samples.
>
> When employers find they have to take me on faith, with only vague
> descriptions of what I've done, most of them rapidly lose interest. I'm
> having a heck of a time getting going as a contractor because of that.
>
> Anybody got any ideas as to how I might get around that one???

Yes, pick a popular application that many people know (such as Word,
FrameMaker, ClarisWorks, FileMaker, and so on) and write a few
chapters of user guide for it. When I hire I ask for a short writing
sample, about 7-10 pages worth. I'm looking to see how the writer conveys
both procedures and conceptual information. I also look for layout
and overall style.

Enjoy!
--- John Bell
jbell -at- paragren -dot- com