FW: Simply and easily

Subject: FW: Simply and easily
From: John David Hickey <jdavid -at- FARABI -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 14:55:32 -0400

From: Geoff Hart [SMTP:geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca]

John David Hickey wondered about the usefulness of "simply" and
"easily" in documentation. My response: lose them both, because they
add nothing and may actually detract from the document. If the
procedures are either simple or easy, this will be self-evident
(i.e., the words are redundant); if the procedures are neither
(which will always be the case for some portion of your audience),
then you've just lost any confidence the audience had in you. I call
this a no-win situation, not so?

--Geoff Hart @8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Hart's corollary to Murphy's law: "Occasionally, things really do work right."